Monday, October 25, 2010

This week's Artist: WJC

It isn't often that I discover an artist whose sense of humour is very similar to my own. So, when I do, it's very satisfying and, in the past few days I have discovered Warwick Johnson Cadwell. Almost everything he draws tickles my funny bone. Witness 'Jedi teatime' above or his sketch for 'Rod, Jane and Freddy (and Freddy)' below:


There's an appearance of raw naiveity to his style that I like, in the same way that I like Quentin Blake or Ralph Steadman or Mick McMahon. But, as with all of those artists, there's good draughtsmanship and clever composition here. It's great stuff. And I love what he does with beloved TV characters. Like here, on the day when Rainbow went bad (I particularly like George the pink hippo's hook hand):
When I used to commute to work, I ran a Twitter hashtag game (if you Tweet you'll now what I mean) called #trainbites where I would describe some of the more colourful passengers. I sketched a few in my notebooks too. WJC has gone one better producing this brilliant poster.


All human life is here. And it commutes. Damn I wish I'd thought to do this.

Visit his blog here. Or his Flickrstream here. On Twitter he's @WarwickJC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like the na├»ve style of Quentin Blake and Ralph Steadman, have you seen the work of Andrew Francois? He appeared quite a bit in Punch in the 50s, and then in the New Yorker later on, and one of his books was published in the UK by Ronald Searle. If you look at the early work by Gerald Scarfe, Steadman and Quentin Blake in the very early 60s sometime it’s almost identical. They are all cribbing from Francois, but since I fear he’s mostly forgotten in the UK nowadays he’s become a sort of missing link in the British cartooning and illustration history of the 1960s.

- matthew davis

Stevyn Colgan said...

Matthew - I do know of andre Francois, but probably not as well as I should. I was a big fan of Punch in the 1970s; was too young to understand much of the content but loved the artwork. My old art teacher had a mini library we could peruse in an annexe to his classroom and he had a Francois book called 'the Biting Pen' or something like that. One of my contemporaries spent hours emulating the man's style. You're right. he should be better known.