Friday, August 18, 2006

A Voice of Reason

Outspoken businesswoman and star of TV’s The Apprentice, Saira Khan writes a column for the Daily Mirror newspaper. In a recent piece* she made a number of excellent and valuable points:

‘My religion is very important to me. I love being a Muslim and I love my community. But I also love being British. Sometimes fundamentalist religion can seem a way out the contradictions between being a Muslim and being British. It gives some young people a set of rules to follow. But looking at it another way, we are lucky to live in a country where our faith schools and halal shops are tolerated. Young Muslims can’t just say ‘we’re alienated’ because many British people try hard to understand about Islam.’

If only everyone felt the same way.

* 'Listen to the voice of reason', Daily Mirror 11th August 2006.

No comments: